Thursday, February 12, 2009

saturday 7 feb 2009

my only thoughts on saturday were keeping cool. i was watching some b-grade movie when the abc ticker went across the bottom of the screen advising viewers to listen to local radio stations for fire updates. my first thoughts ... fires? what fires?
i knew the conditions would be as bad as those on Ash Wednesday (they were worse) . hot and windy.
but i had the arrogance of "we know better now - we can handle these things (fire, nature) better now. not true, as it happens.
I find I'm filled with dread, with ceaseless worry. I think about people packing cars. The pure luck and chance of some survival stories. That the best laid plans can still lead straight into a firestorm.
I've been trying to ground my fears. But I think all I'm doing is feeding them. Checking updates online, watching the bodycount rise. It doesn't help.
just read an article about gardening which included a suggestion from a canberra fires survivor - "pot something up", grow plants for the people who've lost everything - they'll need to start their gardens again. article accompanied by tanberg.
i think i'll tell my mum.

No comments:

Post a Comment