Thursday, October 14, 2010

Won't you put on your dress

When spring begins, I can feel it in my body.
It's the balmy air on my skin. It always reminds me of the sensation of a light cotton dress against my bare legs, after the winter gloom of heavier, warmer clothes. (When I was a kid, it was the transition from winter uniform - woollen tunic - into summer uniform - cotton dress).
So, I'm thinking about dresses and skirts and bare (tanned!) legs.
When I think dresses, two songs in particular pop into my head. both are 80s/early 90s songs, and (i had forgotten, but was reminded) in the 80s, early 90s, "alternative" girls wore second hand, opp shop dresses. so these are the dresses i think of when i think of these two songs.
Lloyd Cole and the Commotions, Pretty Gone
...won't you put on your dress
and come down to magazine avenue
won't you
put on your dress
and come down ...
sadly, not online but possibly available here
And The Wedding Present, My favourite dress
unfortunately a song about getting dumped, but a bloody good song, with the plaintive ending
that was my favourite dress you know
that was my favourite dress


second hand clothes swaps, posh swaps
just in case i ever want to make a dress, convert a dress,
thread den (north melbourne, fitzroy)
previous post, sew what

No comments:

Post a Comment