Thursday, September 10, 2009

hole in the wall

oh the fascinating formations of cappadocia houses built out of caves

less sculptural, but more cave dwellings in turkey near göre





which look a lot like these modern condiminiums built for bats and birds

falcons nest in or near the building where i work
i see them gliding past my window on the 43rd floor, swooping to hunt or hanging on thermals - i wonder whether they'd like modern apartments like these?
other cave dwellings,

the anasazi indians lived in and near caves, mesa verde, colorado
french cave dwellings, near st siffret - people in the area were troglodytes (cave dwellers) in pre-historic times, some comfier caves are still occupied





dank places to live, but they look beautiful...


the stacked rocks remind me of rock cairns











which remind me of termite mounds

which remind me of mud houses around the world (great collection of images here) including beehive houses in harran, turkey

which in turn take me right back to the caves of cappadocia

1 comment:

  1. Ringo, on visiting the Maharishi Mahesh in India;
    (in your best dead-pan Liverpudlian accent)
    'The only cave I ever saw with wall-to-wall carpet...'

    nice post Mon... took me back to my mudbrick childhood.

    ReplyDelete