Sunday, January 11, 2009

do you want tatts with that?

a friend of mine has some very cool tatts. she wears them well, and for a while i considered getting a tatt.
my problem was i couldn't find a design i liked.
i hunted through all sorts of sources - graphics, ethnography, art, and finally found something i liked in a book called Club Life of London. it was such a cool image. it was a drawn image.
it wasn't till later that i checked the name of the club it was associated with - The Sublime Society of Beef-Steaks.
so yep, i wanted a grid-iron. although originally i'd wanted it on my shoulder, i thought, given its origins it might sit better on my rump. surprisingly, i didn't go ahead with this idea.
my next thought was to have a series of mayan (or aztec) glyphs down my arm. one two three.
the problem with this notion is that i'm superstitious and thought it likely that i'd end up getting some human sacrifice-related insignia, or a special call to the jaguar god to come and savage me.
however, it didn't stop me from investigating a few sites which help you create mayan words
i remember telling my grandmother about getting a tattoo. she asked why i (or anyone) would get one. "because i like the image" i said.
so she very reasonably pointed out that i could have the image on a piece of paper and carry it with me. i could take it out and look at it whenever i wanted to .
funny lady.
on david shrigley's site he has a link showing tattoos people have done of his work.





one of the best tatts i've seen though is a dot-to-dot. so very ace!

No comments:

Post a Comment